I was talking to one of our participants this morning and they said it was too cold to look for work. I agree that it is very cold, but this could be the best time to do some of the little things that can make a difference to finding a job. Here are a few things you can do on a cold day to look for work:
1. Review your resume and make any changes you need to make.
2. Review your cover letters and make sure they are a firm digital handshake.
3. Make some calls to friends and family, maybe they know of openings at their place of work.
4. Make some calls to local business to see if they are hiring or if they plan to hire in the future.
5. Look over your favourite job sites for jobs. Here is a hint, sometimes you will see a job for a manger at a place you want to work. Maybe someone inside the business will get that job and open up an entry level position. They would be good people to call, maybe email them your resume and cover letter.
Remember you can do all of these things and you may not have to leave your couch to do it. It may be cold out, but its never too cold to find the job you are looking for. If you want some more ideas call us at the Community Service Centre we may have a few more ideas for cold day job finding.
Robert - Vocational Counsellor
Staff members at PACSC will be updating the blog regularly, watch for changes.