I hear this every day. Someone tells me that they are looking for work. I always ask them what is their plan? Often the answer is, plan? What plan? Most people look for work by doing two things, looking a a favorite job site every couple of days or dropping off a resume at some business. Then sitting back and waiting for a call. Although this can work it is a poor strategy to finding a job. Remember that if you want a full time job, you have to look for a job full time. Here is a list of things you can do to help you find employment. How many of them have you tried?
1. Use the yellow pages of the phone book to make a list of all of the places you would like to work at. Often people forget that 70% of employers are small business and they are often forgotten as places that hire people.
2. Call five friends or family and ask them if their place of work is hiring. Or if they have a friend that know if someone is hiring. Use your friends and family to help you hunt for a job five people looking for a job for you is better than you just doing it by yourself.
3. Drop off 5 to 10 resumes a day at business in the community. The more you apply the more chance you have of getting a job. The key to dropping off a resume is making sure that you hand it to the manager or hiring person. It is like a free mini interview. If you can drop off a resume and ask they are hiring you will have a chance to show them your initiative and drive. Two positive traits.
4. Take time to write up good quality cover letters for your electronic applications. Your cover letter is like a good strong handshake. If you can't do it in person make sure your cover letter stands out.
5. Update your resume, is it correct? Does it reflect modern resumes? Are your references still good? Nothing looks worse that some hand written corrections on a typed resume. Take your time and do it right.
6. Get some help. Finding a job can take some extra help. Thats where we come in. The Community Service Centre is ready to help you market yourself to prospective employeers.
Leave a Reply.
Staff members at PACSC will be updating the blog regularly, watch for changes.